Sunday, March 31, 2013

Favorite Foods

 I used to feed other seeds and found that it is easier to stay with one kind.  So I picked black oil sunflower seed and they will grow under the feeder so you get some free plants and the birds will eat them also.These finches are hungry little fellows


Every year I have a wren that appears and I never know which house he will claim you see him going in and out of different ones and then they  will pick one

This red-bellied woodpecker is on guard he is fighting off 3 starlings for some home-made suet cake. He stood his ground until he was done   Recipe for suet cake below


The red headed woodpecker is still here the female is the same color as the male
Recipe for suet cake
1 cup lard
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup flour
3 cups corn meal
some sunflower seeds
I just use my mixer that I would use for cakes.  If it is too soft put in a little more flour like firm cookie dough
Press in plastic wrap to fit your feeder and put in freezer to harden
There are a lot of different ones on the internet

Enjoy Easter Sunday and stay safe.  A lot of families will be on the road.


No comments:

Post a Comment