Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Going Going Gone

 This is the Silo that I mentioned in my blog a few weeks ago.  It came down the other day.  They are still working on the barn.  Kind of sad to see a piece of history leave our farm.  At one time they did milk some cows here. Take care.  We are still waiting on that rain not enough to wet the drive way.
 My sister asked me what a silo was made of  here is the answer looks like stepping stones but these have a tongue and grove  that attached them together.    There were the metal bands around that were tightened down to hold it together.  The blocks were only 4 or so inches I thought they would be thicker.
There was a small room next to the silo that the farmer would work out of  8 by 8 every ring of the silo had one of these doors to unload silage.  This was definitely an old silo  This room was attached to the barn

You can see it goes to the top

The Gentleman said you knock out the bottom blocks and she will go

I think he was right   They removed 4 or 5 blocks with slug hammers

No comments:

Post a Comment